STUDENTS GROW AND THRIVE
IN A FUN LEARNING
- All Middle School teachers meet the Ohio Standards for Highly Qualified Teacher status in the subject areas they teach and are committed to providing quality instructional activities and lessons for students.
- ECOT provides a team approach to learning, where students receive the attention of two teachers in each Middle School grade level.
- Beginning in Fall 2012, families may choose from two unique "Pathways" to meet family needs.
- In our more structured Pathway, teachers hold scheduled live sessions and follow a standard format for each week’s lessons that establishes a routine for students and clearly informs them of all activities and assignments to be completed each week.
- Families who need more flexibility may choose our Independent Pathway, where acceleration and parent-paced learning are possible.
- ECOT works to identify and meet the personal needs of each student, offering individualized assistance for students through the LIFT program, as well as enrichment activities for advanced students.
- To match the interests of students this age, ECOT Connect (launching in 2012) provides a social network for students to interact and build friendships in an online environment under the supervision of a school moderator.
The eighth grade accelerated language arts course examines all aspects of English language communication, blending both eight grade and ninth grade standards. Upon completion of the course students will have mastered eighth and ninth grade requirements, earning ninth grade credit. Based on Ohio’s Arts New Learning Standards, this course is designed to give students a background and understanding of both fiction and nonfiction, including novels, short stories, informational texts, visual texts, digital media, drama and poetry with increasing levels of text complexity within the grade eight and nine lexile band. Additionally, Ohio’s New Learning Standards places a strong emphasis on the development of literacy skills. Through an in depth approach students will develop literary analysis, writing, researching, language and communication skills. Writing is an integral part of coursework, focusing specifically on narrative, informational, and argumentative writing. In addition, students will have the opportunity to work independently but also with small groups to improve communication.